Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Power Of Words In Copywriting

The Power of Words in copywriting is trememdous.

In copywriting, you must know how to use the right words to trigger the right emotion of your reader, get them into the right reaction to buy thing from you.

If you have not already know, you measured the success of your sales page by the number of conversion you get from visitors reading it.

If you got a 5% conversion rate, you can do better. If you got a 10% conversion rate, you can still try to do better... there is no end to how far you can go.

This is Direct Response Marketing in a nutshell. Everything that you do here must be measured by the result from the outcome of what you want.

In the case of a sales letter, you want them to take action to buy from you. Period.

Nothing more and nothing less....

Here is an example of two letters that you can sent to your mum. In each of the letter, you will get different reaction from you mum depending on which one she read.

Why the different reaction?

Read on to find out....

By the way, this two stories come from the Late Gary Halbert.....

Letter 1#
=========

Dear Mom, I’m very busy right now and I don’t have time to call so that’s why I’m writing you this letter. You know mom not only are you responsible for my very existence, you are also the nourishment that has made my life sparkle.

I’m under a lot of stress right now and for some reason, I started thinking about you. It has occurred to me that maybe I haven’t let you know recently how much I appreciate you and how much I love you.

I especially like remembering you and then I have them fill in something special like, on my 18th birthday when you gave me that gold Rolex watch, or whatever it was. Anyway, I’m going to make it a point to see you just as soon as I can and then you sign love, and your name.

Letter #2
=========

Dear Mom, If I weren’t such a long way from home, I probably wouldn’t have the guts to tell you this but the following has been true ever since I was born. You have made my life a living hell.

Every person I know has a mother that is superior to you in every positive way imaginable. You are nothing more than a wrinkled up old bitch and as far as I’m concerned, the biggest waste of skin God ever created.

Speaking of God, as the good Lord knows, you’re certainly not too mentally swift either. So just in case your low IQ keeps you from understanding what I’m trying to say, let me make it perfectly clear.

And then we have a subhead. Eat Shit and Die. Please don’t call or write me. I have no inclination whatsoever to communicate with you ever again. Reluctantly your son or daughter, you sign your name and then it says P.S. dad sucks too.

Think about it....

The effort you use to write both letter is almost the same.

The cost of paper for writing this two letter is also the same.

The cost of postage that you paid for the letter to your mum is the same.

Then what is the different that cause such a drastic different in the reaction from your mum?

It's the words you use in print.

If i mentioned the word "Farmer", you will associate it with someone who is humble, hardworking and honest.

However, if i mentioned the word "Tax collector", you will associate it with someone who is shrewd, cunning and not truthworthy.

See.. it is what you say in print that make the different in the reaction of your reader, not so much of how you say it.

No comments: